ISCoS Prevention Committee - Membership
The Committee is Composed of:
Ex officio members (in all 6):
- ISCoS President
- ISCoS Honorary Secretary
- Editor of Spinal Cord
- President Elect
- Immediate Past President
- Chair of the Education Committee
- Chair of the Scientific Committee
Representatives of the Local Organising Committees for the Annual Scientific
Meeting (in all 4):
- 1 Representative for each of the two coming meetings
- 1 Representative from each of the two past meetings
Every year there will automatically be a change of 1 member
NB: The Representative of an Affiliated Society organizing an Annual Scientific Meeting must be an ISCoS member and will be an ex-officio member of the Prevention Committee from two years before the ASM and for two years afterwards. They will only have voting rights on issues pertaining to the meetings they are/were associated with.
Appointed members (maximum 6):
Chair (max. 2 terms of 3 years) provisionally appointed by the ISCoS President and confirmed at the next Annual General Meeting (AGM).
In the event of the Chair relinquishing the position before the end of the term, the President shall appoint an interim Chair to the end of the term.
If the Chair is unable to attend the AGM he shall delegate the responsibilities for that meeting to a member of the Prevention Committee.
Up to six other members may be appointed by the Chair for a 3 year term. Two members will retire each year from 2012 but may be re-appointed for one term more only.
Other members may be appointed at the discretion of the Chair for specific expertise or advice. They shall only be able to vote on matters related to the reason for their appointment or otherwise at the discretion of Committee Members.
Elected members (maximum 4):
Nominated from the Membership of ISCoS by at least 2 members and elected at an AGM for 3 years; a second term is optional and does not need to be put to the vote. Nominees will be given an opportunity to present their views on prevention and what they hope to achieve in writing. This will be circulated to ISCoS Members with their name and CV at least 3 months before the AGM. These positions should be advertised to all members of
ISCoS at least three months in advance of the AGM.
If there are more candidates than positions vacant, the Chair will circulate the names of the candidates with their CV’s to the Committee Members for them to vote. The Chair will then appoint the person(s) with the highest vote(s) for the available positions.
Requirements for Future Members on the Prevention Committee:
- They must be a member of ISCoS.
- Potential members shall present a CV to the Chair of the Prevention Committee for consideration. This should, apart from published articles, include evidence of clinical involvement in SCI management or involvement in activities related to prevention of spinal cord injuries.
- New members are expected to have documentation of being scientifically active within the field of Spinal Cord Injuries.
- Members are expected to attend the Annual Scientific Meetings every year, unless excused by the Chair.
- Members are expected to review abstracts in their field of interest or expertise submitted to the annual meetings within the time frame given and according to the Meeting Guidelines.
- Members are expected to take an active part in the process of continually improving the work of the Prevention Committee.
These shall be constituted as required by the Chair in consultation with the Executive and Committee Members as appropriate. The Chair of each Sub-Committee will be ex-officio (v.s. Appointed members) a member of the Prevention Committee with full voting rights and will be expected to attend the annual Prevention Committee meetings, unless excused by the Chair and present a report of the sub-Committee’s activities in the previous year. Sub-Committees may be dissolved at the discretion of the Chair.
Members of the Committee, who retire, ISCoS members who are no longer active in clinical practice or who are no longer ex-officio members, may be appointed Advisory Members at the discretion of the Chair of the Prevention Committee.